CWME and Tanzanian Evening

This is not what I planned to blog but... I was in a large group of GETI participants yesterday afternoon that had 30 minutes to plan an hour and a half interpretive presentation for the whole conference tonight. It was very frustrating yet revealing. It worked out to all the Europeans and Americans sitting around the table with everyone else around the periphery. The conversation mostly stayed around the table. There was no leadership and too many abstract  ideas. We quickly realized we weren't going to complete the task in the time. Emotions were high and agreement, low. Finally someone organically stepped up as the "stage manager", giving some cohesion to the ideas. Then, we had too many Americans and Europeans participating so they started to ask for only Asians and Africans. In some of these cultures, speaking up and out is not the norm. I wanted to participate but I was eventually edged out because I'm white (although I was replaced by a german). There is also a danger in asking certain people groups to give voice to their entire region. They didn't even really have time to respond. Also by pressuring or scripting, I am not sure we are giving voice to the message that we really wanted to promote, while we have this audience's captive attention. Our presentation is tonight...

We also started the world conferemce on mission and evangelism yesterday with nearly a thousand people. I'll say more about this later. We ended yesterday with a Tanzanian evening of music and info about the country. The singing and dancing was fun!!

Today is the half way point. I left the states last friday and I return next friday. I can tell we are all getting tired...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A place to belong

Trees of Life