Trees of Life

One of the interesting things about my program is that not only are we immersed in Tanzanian language and culture, but there are also 40 other countries represented too. At any time, you'll hear multiple languages spoken, and see different customs and attire. I am now friends with people from places that I knew nothing about.

Today we learned about sustainability and justice. Students of GETI 2018 planted trees as part of a Service Learning day in our study program. The trees mark a symbol of unity, and of working together for a greener planet, and a sustainable future. Our little guy "sprout" was planted in a swamp though. While planting these 12 trees may not be a big deal for the planet as a whole, this event helps make us aware that we are caretakers of the world that God has given us.

We also had three more lectures on mission and evangelism. My favorite was a feminist interpretation of the Women at the Well.

Then we went on an exposure visit to the dioses. We visited a church and a farm. I did not take pictures and here is why..we were only with the children for five minutes. Lots of others took pictures but i struggle with what it says to them that foreigners come and take pictures with African children and/or "bad conditions" and post online. I would feel differently if we actually had time to build relationships with the kids. The farm we visited grew their own food and offered us some bananas!

After that, we went to dinner at a restaurant. I ate with my friend from Hong Kong and new friend from England. We had a good time and laughed a lot (and vented some!).

Then we came to our new accommodations - a lodge/retreat center. It's so nice! I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. I am happy to be here. I have new roommates - my friend from Hong Kong and people from Morocco and Switzerland.

Tomorrow we start the conference on world mission and evangelism!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A place to belong